Thursday, September 25, 2008

Lately I have been feeling nolstalgic about my mother. This morning as I got ready for an over-night get away, I remembered this purple cosmetic case hidden in the storage area of the garage. When I opened it, I was surprised to find a small brush (with a few grey hairs in it), a metal nail file and a small tin of Avon's Here's my Heart perfumed talc. My mother was an avid bath taker and always dusted herself with talc when she got out.
In fact, any time we were sick, she suggested a hot bath and always dusted us with talc, when we got out.
when I began to clean up the little case, I was intriqued by the memories that came to my mind. As I wiped down the plastic insides, the smell reminded me of cold shower areas in camping grounds. The ones with damp, cold cement floors and left over soaps on the floor.
I also remembered the day this case was purchased. I was with my mother and she let me pick the color. I was big on purple in those days :) when the sales clerk asked her what monogram she wanted on the front, she gave them mine. EMS for Eugenie Mary Strang.
I think I'll use this case from now on. It has such sweet memories of a mom who loved to travel, who was always thoughtful and had a thing for talc.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Mom, what a wonderful memory! I almost cried. :) I'm so glad you took the time to share that with us.

lovenole

annamae said...

how fun to find such average day treasures! Isn't there just something special about opening a box or case and finding something meaningful! what precious memories!

Anonymous said...

i have no idea what talc is, but i love that case :] and how fun to have your initials on it!!

Emma said...

Aww mommy Im so happy your back to blogging! I love reading everything you have to say but this one was by far my favorite. Not because I remember your mother so much but because it lets me know where you got all your amazing qualities from! Both your bath taking and being such an amazing woman that I would never want to forget:-)