Sunday, September 28, 2008

Nature Journaling

I used to encourage my children to keep a nature journal. We would go out into the woods, or down by the Kings River and draw whatever we saw there that interested us. I remember being thrilled by their drawings and the details they saw in a flower or a nest. Just lately my oldest daughter AnnaMae and I were talking about our desire to learn to draw better and also to learn how to paint. She mentioned a book that she had seen on Amazon that she thought would be a good help in this endeavor. It reminded me of a book I had bought years ago, and it was the same book! I also dug out my old nature journal (the one I had begun with my children) there wasn't much in it, but the contents excited me. I am hoping to begin again soon.
I love the idea of looking more intently at what God has made. My husband is a master at this and amazes me with all he knows about our mountains.
By the way, in case your wondering, the book title is Keeping a Nature Journal, Discover a Whole New Way of Seeing the World Around You by Clare Walker Leslie & Charles E. Roth

2 comments:

annamae said...

can't wait to see more of your artistic endeavors. I'll have to share some of mine with you as i create. :)I have a picture of a chickadee that I've been wanting to try

Anonymous said...

i wish i could draw, at all. :] love you momma